Ontario’s Ministry of Energy put out a great guide to save energy this summer. Ontario homeowners can save up $90 on energy costs from June to August by following these tips:
- Install a programmable thermostat and reduce heating and cooling costs by up to 10%!
- Provide shade for your central air conditioner by planting a tree or shrub near it which can improve its efficiency by up to 10%!
- Keep the home cool all day by setting A/C to 28°C when away and 25°C when at home.
- Proper maintenance of your A/C unit will increase its efficiency by about 5%!
- Use a ceiling fan (in counter-clockwise direction) to help circulate a cool breeze throughout the house.
- Close the blinds during the day to keep the sun from beaming in during the day.
- Wash in cold water
- Hang clothes outside to dry or on racks inside to avoid firing up the dryer
- Replace your old air-conditioning unit and invest in an ENERGY STAR air conditioner to save up to 10% on cooling costs.
Contact Bruce Mechanical for all your air conditioning repair and maintenance needs in the Greater Ottawa area. We also sell and install energy efficient air conditioning systems to help keep your home cool this summer.